Thursday, June 10, 2010

Taking Chances & Guitar Picks

Last night I went to a GrEaT COncErT. It has become a ritual of mine try to get a musician's guitar pick during or after the concert. I think picks represent the musician's love for music and the magic they create.  And lets face it, who wouldn't want to have something that was used by a famous artist? But trying to get picks is definitely something I would have never done a few years ago.
 Lady Antebellum's pick       
Here is a little story I'd like to tell: I love playing the guitar, it fills me up with so much joy and peace. It is definitely a getaway for me. By no means am I a professional player, as a matter of fact I am not very good, but that's not the point. I started playing the guitar because I loved acoustic music and I loved to sing, so you put the two together and the next thing I knew I was learning to play so I could accompany myself.

I think everyone has something that they would love to do but sometimes don't because they (including myself) may not ever be as good as David and Miranda. My take on that is: who cares!!! If you do like it, then just go for it. You don't have to do it perfectly to enjoy it!
 Little Big Town's pick
I have a friend who taught me to just live life and take every opportunity to do things you wouldn't usually do. For example, if we went to a friend's house who played the drums, instead of asking them to play the drums For hER, she would ask them to TeAcH hER. She's one of the reasons why I finally got over my insecurities and decided to try everything.


Here is a list of some of the things I WouLd hAVe NeVer DOnE in the past, that I have done now:
1. Sang a solo in church
2.Wake boarded
3. Snowboarded
4. Danced (I know, hard to believe that I never stepped on a dance floor until I got to college because I was too embarrassed about what others would think of me)
5. Tried out to be a commencement speaker and spoke at my graduation
6. Been in student government all through school including Grad School
7. Applied and worked for EFY
8. Written two articles which were bought by LDS magazines
9. Gone to the movies by myself
10. Gone sledding (hey! You have no idea how scary it is for someone who didn't grow up around snow!!!)

And of course, playing the guitar and AsKiNG MusIcIaNs FOr GuiTaR PiCkS.



David Cook's pick

These are just a few things that came to mind. It is amazing how my life has changed since I started just taking chances.  So here is to taking chances and guitar picks!!!!

2 comments:

Bren said...

Cristina....It's Brenda! I love your blog...and am so JEALOUS of your guitar picks....would love to read what the LDS magazines purchased from you!! Miss you!!

Nat said...

That is the neatest idea! I'm so glad to have inspiring friends like you Cristina!
And btw, playing the guitar rocks :)