Thursday, June 3, 2010

Some People

I just had the most INSPIRING chat with one of my friends who got married not too long ago. To give you an idea of who he is (and it is important to know he is a guy even though I wish not to reveal his identity), let's just say he was in the SINGLE SCENE FOR MANY MANY YEARS. I called this friend and when I asked how he was doing, he went on to tell me all that has taken place over the last few months of his life. He told me that marriage was very different than what he had expected and he is still adjusting. But you also need to know that he, MORE THAN ANYONE I'VE EVER KNOWN perhaps, spent all the time possible speaking with married friends and asking them what it was like to be married and what change they had to adjust to.  Lesson one: you will never know what marriage is like until you get married because it will be YOuR MaRriAGe, not anyone else's.

My friend also told me that he never got the "YES" answer to his prayers and he was terrified to get married. His wife did get the Yes, but HE NEVER DID. He told me how scared he had been the months before he proposed, and the months before he got married, and probably sometimes now also. But he always prayed that if it was wrong, that he would be stopped. He went ahead with it, had faith, and made covenants for a Celestial Marriage.

Something he shared that really touched me is that one of his loved ones told him to go ahead with faith, that WITHIN A YEAR of the marriage he would get his answer, WITHIN TWO YEARS he would thank her for having encouraged him, and WITHIN FIVE YEARS he wouldn't even know how he could have ever doubted his choice. My friend also told me that a lot of his girl friends had gotten "answers," while their husband had not. Years after, both husband and wife were sure they had made the right decision.   Lesson two: If you love someone, and they are a good person, you just have to make a choice. You have to choose them and have faith that Heavenly Father will stop you just like he has in other decisions of your life if they were not good.  I mean, didn't you get the FEELING NOT TO GO TO A CERTAIN PARTY WHEN YOU WERE A TEENAGER? My point exactly.   Lesson three: for some reason, it has also been my experience that there are more girls who have gotten a Yes answer than there are guys. Either way, both have to show a lot of faith in their personal gOOd JudGMeNt.

What came to mind as we were speaking is that you are not a Celestial Marriage WHEN YOU KNEEL AT THE ALTAR and make covenants. YOU BECOME A CELESTIAL MARRIAGE THROUGH OUT YOUR LIFE. The same way we are not perfect, but we are working towards perfection and will continue to do so as long as we live this mortal life.

You know how people always say "I never got a big answer to my prayer, I mean I'm sure it happens for SoMe PEoPle, but it just didn't happen to me"?

Well peeps, I have yet to meet one of those "Some People."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Cute blog, Cristina. You have such great perspective. I'm always so impressed by you.